Jagged Alliance Center - Forum

Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 66 ]  Przejdź na stronę   Poprzednia   1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Następna
Autor Wiadomość
Olddog
Cytowanie selektywne Odpowiedz z cytatem
Starszy szeregowy
Starszy szeregowy

Finding news about Renegade Republic was what got me back into JA2 after a long absence. Since then I've discovered a whole heap of mods about to be released or in progress as well as the whole 1.13 project. Still RR is the one that I'm most looking forward too-looks like a staggering amount of work has gone into it.

Popers
Awatar użytkownika
Starszy chorąży
Starszy chorąży

Olddog pisze:
looks like a staggering amount of work has gone into it

true. When it comes out I might even swap my beloved Wildfire with it. Well, I'll probably do it anyways since I'm translating it :)

Olddog
Starszy szeregowy
Starszy szeregowy

Given the size of size and scope of this mod, I can only imagine the amount of scripts, dialogues etc you will have to translate. It's probably small consolation, but you can bask in the appreciation of English speaking fans eagerly awaiting the chance to play Renegade Republic. :)

Popers
Awatar użytkownika
Starszy chorąży
Starszy chorąży

Olddog pisze:
I can only imagine the amount of scripts, dialogues

well ,since I study linguistics I've been trained to translate. It's quite simple , the translating itself. The only problem is that I don't get to play the game. This complicates the task a bit since Polish syntax and flection are completely different from the English one. For example, without knowing the speaker's gender, I am unable to make a proper Polish translation. So I have to guess sometimes :| But I'm determined to overcome these difficulties to give Polish gamers as good product as possible. Recently , I got a full-time job <for 2 moths at most,I hate the job :| > so I don't commit myself to it as much as I would like to, but I'll try to make up for the lost time ;-)

the_Scorpion
Kapral
Kapral

what about having len give you the prof.dat files to look up gender, nationality, even attitude and such?

i can send you a prof.dat file myself though...

by the way, the number of females is quite limited. so first guess --> male

(try finding female voice actors for a game like ja2 and you'll know why)

Popers
Awatar użytkownika
Starszy chorąży
Starszy chorąży

the_Scorpion pisze:
what about having len give you the prof.dat files to look up gender, nationality, even attitude and such

Nah. I'll just flood you with e-mails asking questions.
just joking.... :D

Olddog
Starszy szeregowy
Starszy szeregowy

Does that mean you are translating from English into Polish? I must admit I had assumed it would be the other way around (not that that makes it any less work lol).

Sorry to here you hate your job - I've been there a time or two myself - all you can do is grit your teeth until something better comes along (and at least enjoy paydays :> )

the_Scorpion
Kapral
Kapral

popers

you'll get the necessary answers if you ask, that isn't a problem. Thus also my notion of prof.dat to solve the gender issue.

olddog

ja2 rr is developed in (sloppy, but don't tell them) english language hoping this would increase the number of players in comparison to ja2 vengeance mod that was in german

modding in my native tongue would get me less than 30 players maximum so that was not an option ;-))

the community here seems to be willing to translate such big mods for the increased fun of playing such games in native tongue, which is a great service to their community. similar thing used to exist in german forums, but with the forum members getting younger, the acceptance of english mods and the availability of english installs increased so this isn't really a big thing there anymore.
which is a bit sad cause some people will miss some of the fun and detail that lies in the language

don't tell anybody, i used to study linguistics as well.

even "english linguistics" but not very surprisingly, my english level was not up to the required standard there (amongst other reasons for not studying that anymore)

Popers
Awatar użytkownika
Starszy chorąży
Starszy chorąży

yep. linguistics is pretty demanding . They teach me Russian there as well , so maybe in some future , there will be a possibility to translate Russian mods into English/Polish.

Cytuj:
some people will miss some of the fun and detail that lies in the language

yep. some call it "translators curse". It's extremely difficult to keep the depth of the original .
Even if a translator manages to make a near-perfect translation ,he does not get the credit for it. The author is praised. If a translator fucks his job up -only he is to blame.

Len
Awatar użytkownika
Generał broni
Generał broni

An interview with Scorpion ,the creator of the JA2: Renegade Republic modification, has literally just appeared. This is already a second interview in which Scorp answers questions. I invite to the reading. Opinions welcome ;)

II interview with The Scorpion

Ostatnio zmieniony 01 sty 1970 01:00 przez Len, łącznie zmieniany 1 raz

Olddog
Starszy szeregowy
Starszy szeregowy

@Popers
Sad but true that translators bear the brunt of peoples ire - unfortunately they are an easy target, and others rarely consider just how much work has to go into translating. :wall:

@Scorpion
Great interview - I'm looking forward to RR even more :)

I listened to a radio interview with a linguist this morning about hoe English was evolving into a more functional, less 'flowery' language as a result of non native English speakers using it as a medium to communicate - I think 'Globish' was the term they used. I'd be interested in yous and Popers thoughts on this one since you have direct experience.

Ostatnio zmieniony 01 sty 1970 01:00 przez Olddog, łącznie zmieniany 1 raz

Popers
Awatar użytkownika
Starszy chorąży
Starszy chorąży

Gość pisze:
English was evolving into a more functional, less 'flowery

very very true. London ,which is the place where I live at the moment , is the greatest example. Influx of millions of immigrants made it impossible to maintain a purity in terms of pronunciation, vocabulary or even grammar. Black society has it's own blend. Arabs have their own blend. Asians and so on. Today , while I was sitting in a bus , I was approached by a black guy. He was like " Yaa maaan! Neeedda fone? reeel cheeep maan!" I suppose he was trying to sell me a stolen cell phone. I haven't finished my studies yet and I already speak better English than some of the people brought-up in London. Brought up by non-English parents , in non-English environment <there are large areas where only immigrants live>. This is how simplified English is formed. It's just rubbish mix. Besides immigrants' influence I should also add TV , internet ,text messages and a lot of other civilizational achievements.Sadly, interest in books is fading. Pop-culture has taken over.... This is a subject for a longer debate or essay. . Damn , I might even write a "master's thesis" about it some day ;)

I myself try to enhance my language skills in British English direction which I find deeper and less tainted by that "evolution". American English is somehow... cheap ,when I think of it . America was founded by immigrants so their language might have been the first example of "globish". Unfortunately I am attacked by A.E. everyday so I sometimes say "fries" instead of "chips" or pronounce "R" consonant in places where it should not appear :lol:

Haven't got too much experience in translation/linguistic business so I might be wrong here and there , though....

Olddog
Starszy szeregowy
Starszy szeregowy

Interesting - Its something that I only get to observe 'second hand' since I live in small outback community (<300 people, >300 kms to nearest town), so I live in a sort of language 'time bubble' lol. The phraseology hasn't changed much generations and while not exactly the 'Queen's English' remains rich in aussie slang and vernacular. Yet corresponding with people from different nationalities I often find that they show a better command and vocabulary - even if diction is a bit broken - than the more multicultural coastal centres here in Australia. I think the most telling comment to come out of the interview I heard was that 'Ciao' was making its way into popular vocabulary, not as an attempt to copy cosmopolitan europeans, but because its just one syllable - sad commentary really. Although the other comment that Linguists simply observe language evolution and that change was inevitable and while nostalgia might be appropriate, regret was not, also struck a chord.

Ostatnio zmieniony 01 sty 1970 01:00 przez Olddog, łącznie zmieniany 1 raz

Popers
Awatar użytkownika
Starszy chorąży
Starszy chorąży

Gość pisze:
(<300 people, >300 kms to nearest town)

impressive. no sarcasm mate.
such a remote place and yet you have the internet connection. technology is a wonderful thing, eh ? ;)

Olddog
Starszy szeregowy
Starszy szeregowy

Got to say we have been pretty lucky lately - even got mobile phones now (I'm still trying to decide if this is a good thing lol). We have just got access to ADSL Tech so my home connection is about to be upgraded. I might even give PvP online a go again (got depressing getting facing 50 ping enemies with 600-2000 ping yourself)

Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie Przejdź na stronę   Poprzednia   1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Następna